Thursday, May 17, 2012

THURSDAY MUSINGS: The Hangover

(image by Bobby Rubio / http://www.alcatrazhigh.com/)

It's been five days. I guess it's not the longest hangover I've had.

To clarify, this isn't an alcohol induced hangover (though it very well could have been). This is a sports hangover. A DC sports hangover specifically, courtesy of your WASHINGTON CAPITALS (@!#$#$^%!!!).

Now, if you are curious as to what constitutes a 'DC sports hangover', the symptoms are largely the same as a regular hangover. That is ... there's nausea, vomiting, a little whining and self-loathing, acute sensitivity to light, a headache, feelings of regret ... and of course, late night pizza. Except for the DC sports fan, these symptoms aren't the result of a night of binging, but rather days, weeks, months, even years of seemingly misguided allegiances to perennially failing institutions in the world of sport.

For anyone unfortunate enough to share my fanaticism, you will know this variety of hangover pretty well. It happens every spring, when the Capitals inevitably walk the plank in the NHL playoffs. It happens when the Wizards fall out of playoff contention. Or mid-November, whichever happens first. (Because of the lockout, you could argue that the Wizards were never in playoff contention this year so there shouldn't have been any hangover to begin with. To which I will say, eat me.) And for Redskins fans - there are a few in DC, despite all the Cowboy/Steeler/Eagle placards you see in the area - our hangovers are either weekly or bi-monthly throughout the regular season. Even with the addition of RG3, it's hard to imagine a rookie coming out of the gate and firing on all cylinders so I suspect this season will be no different. (Don't say I didn't warn you.)

But alas, after about a week of quiet reflection (and complete shunning of ESPN), I've rehydrated, I'm back on solid foods ... I'm ready for the world again. And despite the soul-crushing loss to the New York Rangers (and the subsequent loss of Coach Hunter to ... Canadian farm life), I can honestly say that the excitement of this post-season run by the Capitals was well worth it, if for no other reason but to provide a glimpse at a team capable of exceeding expectations. Now, pass the Advil.

QUICK HITTERS

- The Nationals were noticeably absent from the above rant, largely because ... there's still reason for optimism (albeit cautious optimism). Despite a rash of injuries, a dearth of run support and the incessant efforts of interim closer Henry Rodriguez to DESTROY THE UNIVERSE, DC's boys of summer are sitting in first place of the National League East. Granted, we're not even into June yet but it's encouraging to see this team power through some rough patches with damn fine pitching and timely hitting.

- Speaking of hitting, some kid named Harper ... plays for the Nats I think ... he stroked a couple good hits. That is, two homers and triple in his last three games. Not bad for a 19 year old in his rookie campaign. Then again, all those accomplishments, along with an epic steal of home base, might be trumped by this:

UFC Octagon Girl, Brittany Palmer and lucky bastard, Bryce Harper
(image: Tracy Lee / Yahoo sports)


- The Redskins unveiled their modern interpretation of a throwback uni to commemorate their 80th anniversary. This after the disastrous debut of Nike's revamped NFL uniforms which ... looked exactly like the old Reebok uniforms. The verdict? A decisive 'Meh'. I don't mind the darker hues of burgundy and gold so much as I mind the obvious similarities to both Florida State's and Boston College's respective duds. For my money, the 'leather' helmets are a 10 but it seems other fans don't share my sentiment. I would love an in person look at all these to get a better feel for them. Better yet, in-person, on a Redskin, no more than 50 yards away from me. Please. 

- That said, no matter how the jersey looks up close, it will NEVER top the 70th anniversary jersey (of which I am a proud owner):


- The NBA playoffs are going on. I say that because I assume someone cares about such things. 

- This has nothing to do with sports but 'The Avengers' F**KING RULED. Yes, I am a nerd, and yes, I have been waiting with baited breath since 2008 for this movie. But damnit, if that wasn't a movie ANYONE could get behind. Great job by Mark Ruffalo in bringing the Hulk to life. Great interactions between him and Tony Stark. Great ensemble cast. Another great turn as Loki for Tom Hiddleston. As noted radio personality Robb Spiewak would say, just GREAT. 

That's all I got today. Appreciate everyone and anyone that took a moment to read this. I know I've been way sporadic posting in the last two months but hopefully, I can keep at it from here on in. Later, friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment