Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Where's That Chowder Place?

I meant to post while on the road for work in Seattle but truth be told, it's been a crazy couple of weeks.

Before I set out for the west coast, my brother mentioned a really good soup spot in downtown Seattle. I neglected to jot it down at the time but something reminded me of it midweek so I decided to text him to get the name. However, instead of texting, he responded with a call. When I saw his name crop up on the phone, I just figured he was REALLY excited about the joint.

Then the conversation went like this ... 

Me. Hey. 
Bro: Hey.
Me. What's up?
Bro: The soup place is Pike Place Chowder.
Me. Sweet. Thanks.
Bro: Oh BTW, I'm at the hospital.  Dad collapsed, maybe passed out. Doctors are checking to see if he might've had a stroke.
Me. ... Oh.

From there, things got a little hazy. Suffice it to say, soup was on the back burner after that.

Two days and a steady stream of updates later, it turned out that dad did indeed have a stroke, albeit a minor one. Luckily, he wasn't alone, and the stroke occurred in a part of his brain that did NOT impair his motor function or his speech. After a battery of tests, and a couple nights of awful hospital food, dad was discharged and sent home. Although it's still early, the 'old man' looks to be on the mend.

This wasn't exactly what I envisioned for my post-Seattle entry but life has an odd way of dictating the stories you tell. In any event, I promise a return to form tomorrow, as Top Chef goes into final four mode, which of course means ... live blog mode. For now, I say adieu.

No comments:

Post a Comment