Sunday, January 1, 2012

MERRY NEW YEAR!

On this first, glorious day of 2012, I asked my fiance how she manages to update her blog so regularly (rehabmywardrobe.blogspot.com for those wondering). To which she replied:

'I just do it.'

Makes sense.

So on that note, I've resolved to write a new post every Sunday. Mark it on your calendars. Prepare your heckles and barbs, in the 'off chance' I do not adhere to said resolution. But I'm shooting for at least 52 posts come this time next year. Hopefully, I'll find some time between wedding planning and episodes of 'Storage Wars' to squeeze in a few extra posts in 2012. And speaking of resolutions...


- I guess Brock Lesnar resolved to not to get hit in the face any more. Can't say I blame him (he wasn't very good at it). However, I'm 50/50 on his decision to walk away from MMA now. He is just three fights, two years, and one case of diverticulitis removed from the undisputed UFC Heavyweight title. Two years later, he's supposedly done with the sport. I respect the guy for taking on one of, if not THE most talented strikers in the division in Alistair Overeem, after a 14 month layoff from the octagon. Take nothing away from the 'Reem but I wonder if ring rust played a role in Brock's performance. For my money, one more fight would clear up a lot of my questions.

Then there's the speculation about Brock potentially returning to the WWE. Everyone, including the fine folks at chaddukeswrestlingshow.com, seems to believe it's a foregone conclusion that 'the Next Big Thing' will be back in the squared circle for WrestleMania. Yet I'm not totally sold. Granted, I'm sure Vince & Co. will make a run at him at some point but I don't know if now is the time. Assume Brock is back to face the Undertaker. Honestly, how do you sell a 'real fighter' coming off two straight losses to the WWE universe as legit? Not saying it's impossible but it'll be a little more difficult for the WWE to convince the PG-Era fans Brock is a credible threat to 'The Streak' given how his run in the UFC came to an end. I'll wait to see how this plays out but I won't hold my breath.

- The Redskins ended the 2011 season one game worse than last year. Considering this was with Rex at the helm for 13 games, I'm going to call that a push.

Look, it sucks being a Redskins fan right now but ignore the stench of failure for a brief moment and look at it this way: Helu and Royster are the future at RB. Kerrigan and Orakpo are the real deal. Perry Riley is a tackling machine. Jarvin Jenkins should be healthy and ready to jump on the line. (Jarvis if you recall was the best player in camp this summer before tearing his ACL. He will join Stephen Bowen and Barry Cofield to a vastly improved defensive line.)

Of course, the QB position is the primary question mark but with the sixth pick in the upcoming draft, the Redskins are at least in the conversation for RGIII. If they opt against blowing their load to move up in the draft, the Redskins could do worse than to have Mike Shanahan and gang at the helm, scouring college QBs. As Danny Rouhier from 106.7 The Fan DC pointed out on his twitter (@funnydanny), this is the same guy in Shanny that drafted Jay Cutler and passed on Blaine Gabbert. They might have a beat on this kind of thing. (Then again, he did have us convinced John Beck was the guy.)

Hopefully, I'm not alone in this perverse sense of optimism. But I'm more than happy to share a glass of the Kool Aid.

------------------------------

I'm off work Monday but I'm going to milk some shut-eye out of this. I'll leave you with this message from my friend, Nenge Mboko:


No comments:

Post a Comment